Wednesday, February 17, 2010

Night Terrors

My John John has night terrors. I am not sure what else to call them. I am pretty sure it is much different than nightmares. He will suddenly start screaming hysterically like he is in pain. Sometimes I hear him and it startles me to hear John scream in such a manner. As I am running to his crib I am picturing him caught up in the side rails or something. That’s how bad he sounds. Thank goodness he is not. He is just lying there where I put him earlier. When I get there, I pick him up and cradle him and kiss him and rock him. He never wakes. However, his eyes are somewhat open but they look weird. They are not focused. That’s how I can tell that he is not awake. He also does this thing where he shakes his head back and forth. But this is not something that is necessarily associated with the terrors.

I have done a bit of reading about it. Night terrors usually occur in the first few hours of sleep. That’s why they never happen during a daytime nap. It is rare for a baby to get real REM sleep during the day. John John does not have terrors nightly, but I would say maybe a couple times per week. Sometimes they last longer than others. I think he gets them on the days/nights that he is most tired.

If you know our John John, then you know that he is not a big crier. He is our Zen baby. He is Mr. Happy. So when we hear him scream from his crib it is alarming. I am so glad that he doesn’t remember anything the next morning.
Does anyone have any experience with baby night terrors?

No comments:

Post a Comment