Monday, November 16, 2009

Happy Kids

I have read about child psychology and child development. I know that children are a product of their environment. I think about John and Ellie and wonder what can Andy and I do now to help them grow into lovely, giving, confident adults. It seems like a lot of pressure to always be thinking about that. If Ellie is crying and I pick her up too soon will she become spoiled? If John is crying and I wait a couple minutes will he become insecure and have low self-esteem? It’s hard to know I guess. I know that I can love them and meet their basic needs and make sure that they are happy kids. I know that as they get older they may experience other emotions such as anger and sadness. When that happens, it is my job to guide them and remind them that I love them and that I am here for them. However, I feel that it is important to let them work through their emotions. I don’t feel like I should try and “fix” their emotions and make them feel better. They need to know how to work through things. It will be tough because we don’t want to see our children suffer. I guess the key is to know where to draw the line. I just hope that we can.

Mimi and Grandpa were here for the week, which is such a gift. It’s nice to have the extra hands and I appreciated all the talks with Wendy. Dad cooked daily and fixed a couple of things around the house. It was nice to not have to worry on Saturday while Andy & I were gone all day at a wedding. Mimi played hard with the kids. I know this because there were some evenings that the kiddos had to nap at 5pm. That is probably a no-no in some expert mother book. But it just had to be done.

This came for the kiddos on Friday from Laurie & Scott. Aren’t they awesome! I did try to sit them in their chairs…. John was fine; but Ellie did the straight leg thing and would slide right out.

I think they are teething. Can that be possible? John has been a bit fussy (fussy for John) and has been chewing on his hands. Ellie has also been chewing on her hands too. Are my babies getting teeth???

Here’s a couple of close-ups of the kids. Sorry .. they were taken with the blackberry. John loves the stuffed octopus that hangs from the activity gym. This octopus has a huge smile and wears a sailor hat. John thinks it’s hilarious.


Here’s Ellie – happy and hanging out with Mom.



My last week of full time work. It’s a great feeling.

Happy Monday.

No comments:

Post a Comment