Sunday, September 13, 2009

Colic

What is colic? It refers to a condition when a baby cries excessively for no apparent reason. It peaks between 3 to 6 weeks old and usually lasts until about 3 to 4 months old. I am pretty sure our Ellie has colic. It is very difficult. I sometimes cry along with her because I don't know how to help her. She vomits her "meals" atleast twice per day. The pediatrician told me that a colicky baby should be held atleast 3 hours a day. That is sometimes difficult because I have another baby. Thank goodness our John is very mellow and allows me to console Ellie for long periods of time.
There is only peace when she sleeps. She is never happy when she is awake. We are trying a hypoallergenic formula, but so far I don't see any changes. I may try a soy-based formula next.
We try many methods to quiet her. We walk with her, bounce her, rock her, put her in the stroller, take her for a ride in the car, put her on her belly, run the dryer, run the vacuum, run the faucet.. and sometimes this seems to work...

Does anyone have any other ideas???

No comments:

Post a Comment