Sunday, August 16, 2009

They have arrived

Elinor Anne White born on August 4th, 2009 at 2:40 p.m. weighing 6 lbs 4 oz. and John Macnamee White born at 2:41 p.m. weighing 6 lbs. 1 oz.



This is Elinor Anne....


This is John Macnamee....


We scheduled a c-section since Baby B (John) was breech. The c-section was definately quite an experience. In preparation for the surgery, there are just too many things that a husband should not have to witness. But he did and I try to forget about those things and hopefully he does too.

Anyways, back to the babies..
They are such beautiful babies. Ellie is our eater and light sleeper while John is sluggish in his eating and loves to sleep. Occasionally during one of his deep sleeps I see him poke one eye open to see if anyone is looking. Ellie loves to be held especially heart to heart. I think they both enjoy my singing.
I started nursing right away. 2 weeks post partum I have resorted to pumping and feeding. Being that the babies were born at 37 weeks, they are not good "suckers" and don't latch very well. It was quite stressful until the lactation consultant made a home visit one week after delivery. She took one look at me and said "oh, you aren't sleeping are you?". I then had a meltdown right in front of her. She told me not to stress out about everything and even gave me permission to feed formula. I struggle with that on a daily basis. It's like I feel like a bad mother or a quitter at something that is too hard. But I am slowly coming to grips with it. So now I pump every 3 hours, feed bottled breast milk throughout the day and do formula at night. So far so good.
Andy is a wonderful father as I knew he would be. I don't think he totally understands how he can interact with a newborn but I just love to watch him hold them or dance with them. While in the hospital he changed their first diapers, finger fed them both and learned how to swaddle them in a way that impressed the nurses.

We LOVE LOVE LOVE being parents! The best thing I have done in my life for sure.

No comments:

Post a Comment