Wednesday, December 8, 2010

Holiday Stress


Why do the holidays make some people stressed?  We all have a mental picture of how we want Christmas to be.  Christmas is meant to be a happy and joyful time.  However, there are so many expectations that we or other people put on ourselves.  I know that for me, the first week of December was when the stress started to hit me.  We did not have a tree, there were no lights on the house, no decorations up, my shopping had only begun the week before and I still did not know if I was having company for Christmas. 
Then I thought to myself… do lights on the house and a wreath on the door really matter?  So, we got the tree up and for a few days it only stood there with lights. It was leaning, but it was beautiful! We all loved it.   Then I was able to finally carve out an hour and trim the tree. 
The Christmas cards have not been sent.  I was able to get a photo of the kids together last year. This year may be a bit tricky.  What if I don’t send Christmas cards?  The world does not come to an end.  I can always send them for Valentine’s Day or my favorite, St. Patrick’s Day.  Everyone loved my Paddy’s Day cards last year.
I guess the best way to relieve the stress is to let go of the mental picture of what we think the holiday should be.  This year and every year all I really want is to have a simple holiday, enjoying the sights and the sounds, the snow, little treasures, and time spent with my family.  And that is my new mental picture.   

1 comment: